2015 was a pivotal year for Mountain Bike the Tetons. As I look back on my first year as Executive Director, I’m so pleased to see how far our organization has come, and I’m excited and energized to keep the momentum rolling into 2016. Community support has fueled our successes. Whether you moved dirt during a Maintenance Monday or our Mail Cabin reroute project, made a donation through Tin Cup, or volunteered to coach the high school team, we’ve all made a big, collective step toward creating a stronger, more impactful mountain biking community. Improving our mountain biking trails, amenities and opportunities is a long, steady process that will require a serious investment of time, money and resources. From what I saw this past year, I know we, as a community, have what it takes. For proof, just take a look at our list of 2015 accomplishments. We couldn’t have done any of it without your support. Of course, it’s always nice to celebrate successes, but this is just the beginning! As a community, I think we are just getting warmed up. As you’ll see in our 2016 goals, MBT is squarely focused on building on these successes to ensure steady progress toward enhancing and expanding the Teton region’s mountain biking opportunities. The more support we get, the faster we can reach these goals. Please consider making a donation to MBT to support our 2016 goals. You can also choose to support individual programs like the high school team, the Victor Bike Park or – our biggest focus for 2016 – funding a full-time, paid trail crew. MBT knows that having its own paid trail crew is the next critical step to truly improving mountain biking in the region. No matter what you choose to support, rest assured your donation will help create more trails, improve existing trails, and introduce more young riders to the sport. A great community deserves great trails. Mountain biking is my number one passion, and I’m honored to be working on your behalf toward that goal. I’m grateful to all who have supported us so far, welcome more of you to join the effort, and wish you all a happy, healthy, super-sweet, singletrack-filled new year.
- Performed over 1,000 volunteer trail work hours through our volunteer days and our weekly Maintenance Mondays trail work days.
- Repaired and improved the Victor Bike Park pump track and jumps, and installed picnic tables and benches for all to enjoy. Now you’ll find fewer rocks, much improved flow, places to hang out and an added XL jump line.
- Paid for an additional 450 hours of skilled trail crew work on public land trail and park projects.
- Completed a major reroute on the Aspen Trail’s south end and secured funding to install a 25-foot bridge on the Aspen Trail’s largest stream crossing during summer 2016.
- Completed Phase I and II of the Mail Cabin reroute.
- Started and ran the Teton Region Composite Team, the region’s first-ever high school mountain bike team. Our dedicated coaches volunteered hundreds of hours to coach young riders from Jackson, Tetonia, Driggs, Alpine and Victor to a successful first year competing in the Idaho league.
- Worked with BLM and USFS officials to push forward approval of two new singletrack trail systems in southern Teton Valley.
- Distributed 75 free handlebar bells to Teton region mountain bikers.
- Secured grant funding to purchase our own 50-piece trail building tool cache.
- Held a free community trail building school with the IMBA Trail Care Crew.
- Launched a brand-new website! Head over to tetonmtb.wpengine.com/support-trails/donations/ now to make a donation with your credit card, to explore the valley trails, and to learn more about MBT programs.
2016 Projects + Goals
Your gift to Mountain Bike the Tetons will enable us to:
- Fund a full-time, year-round Executive Director to put MBT’s mission into action on a daily basis.
- Employ our own full-time trail maintenance crew for summer 2016. This crew will focus on projects to improve the trails most important to mountain bikers.
- Finish the final section of the Mail Cabin reroute.
- Continue to usher the Southern Valley Trails (Mike Harris) and Victor BLM trail network proposals through the approval process.
- Grow our high school mountain bike team program by hiring paid coaching staff for both Jackson and Teton Valley. Our goal is to provide both race team and club team options for grades 7-12.
- Continue our Maintenance Mondays trail work program and grow the volunteer Trail Ambassador program.
- Continue our partnership with the Teton Freedom Riders to support Teton Pass trail development.
- Expand groomed fat biking trail options in the Teton region.