August 17th Teton Dirt Report
Week # 16 of the MBT Trail Crew Season!
Current Trail Conditions: hot, dry, loose and dusty
Current Trail Crew Conditions: hot, sweaty, tight but loose and dusty
Sure is feeling like we’re in the heat of the summer lately. As challenging as it may be working in the current conditions, it is embraced with open arms and we forge on. We’ll take another three months, please.
Full week for the crew in the backcountry and in the front country. Here’s what they have been up to:
- Monday: Alec joined Kevin and crew of the Teton Basin Ranger District on Spooky for some trail dozer maintenance. The dozer was used to install drains and re-bench sections of trail that were beginning to ‘sluff’ or become very narrowed on the sidehill. Lots of finish work was completed behind the machine.
- Tuesday: Alec, Chris and Eric continued maintenance on Spooky > Corral with the TBRD crew, installing a more sustainable reroute at the trail junction and completing finish work.
- Wednesday: The crew continued Lower Corral Cr. maintenance. Several more drains were installed with the dozer and re-benching in areas along the way. With some ‘technical’ moves for the machine, Corral Cr. has proved to be a spicy project.
- Thursday: Chris spent the morning working on the Victor Bike Park, weed whacking the tall grass and removing invasive weeds, then hit the office for the afternoon. Alec and Eric moved down Corral Cr. with the machine and the TBRD crew, completing finish work behind the machine as well as in front, to aid the machine in passing the technical areas.
- Friday: Chris and Alec continued some overdue maintenance on the Victor Bike Park. Completing a full mow down of the tall grasses, removing weeds, sweeping the tracks, rock removal, picking up trash, watering and minor track repairs.
- Saturday Chris and Tony joined Nate Kirshner and a great group of volunteers for the Carriboo Jack Trail Party in the woods. The group worked on some trail rehab and maintenance, building a couple of small rerouted corners and significant re-benching on Thompson Peak trail in the Palisades Ranger District.
- Sunday: The second of two days up on Thompson Peak completing more tread work and brush back for the adventurous volunteers. Thanks to all who joined!
Follow @mtbthetetons for more current content regarding our work and local trail conditions. We will also continue to provide trail updates as they continue to open, here in the Weekly Trail Crew Reports and on Trailforks
We want to thank everyone for their continued responsible trail use and those who are helping with trail maintenance. Please remember to share trail reports or work of your own so that we can relay to the people!
Click HERE to report Trail Conditions.
Click HERE to report a Trail Maintenance Request.
OPEN DRY TRAILS AS OF August 17, 2020
- Mill Creek
- Drake Creek
- Grove Creek
- Pole Canyon
- Mail Cabin
- S. Fork Horseshoe
- Rush Hour
- Horseshoe Canyon
- Aspen Trail
- Stinking Springs
- Caribou Range Trails
- 7N Ranch
- South Bench Trail
- Lower Palisades Creek
- 5th Street Bike Park
- Victor Bike Park
- Teton Pass DH Trails
For more Jackson Hole dry trails, check out our partners’ (Friends of Pathways) Trail Report HERE.
Please be patient and consider the potential consequences of riding around or through muddy or wet areas. Refer to the blue posted signs as each trailhead for Guidelines for early season trail use and COVID-19 etiquette.
We will continue to provide trail updates as they continue to open, here in the Weekly Trail Crew Reports and on Trailforks HERE.
Thanks and we’ll see you out there!